The Health Museum offers an engaging Field Trip experience along with several add-on Discovery Lab activities.
Add-on experiences only available September - May. Advance registration required.
The Field Trip Experience is available for $8 per student and includes access to all our exhibits and free flow activities.
- Our Global Kitchen: Food, Nature, Culture explores our complex food system from farm to fork.
- DeBakey Cell Lab: You don’t need to be a scientist to enter, but you’ll feel like one when you leave! (Not included in museum admission. Additional $5 per person.)
- Outbreak: Epidemics in a Connected World explores the connections between human, animal, and environmental health.
- Amazing Body Gallery (An interactive tour through a over sized human body)
- Brain Teasers (Hands-on puzzles and mind challenging games)
Please note that the selection of free flow activities change with the exhibits and may not be offered everyday.
- McGovern Theater: Educational Movies & TedTalks related to current exhibits and activities
- Live Dissection Demos: Take a seat inside the McGovern theater and follow a live dissection of a cow eye or a sheep brain performed by one of the museum science educators.
- Scavenger Hunt: Using a TEKS-based scavenger hunt as a guide you'll take selfies and explore the science of health all over the different museum exhibits.
Add a hands-on Discovery Labs activity that will make your experience more memorable and unique
Students learn about their DNA make up, enjoy an advanced Scavenger Hunt, and take home a necklace with their very own DNA. $5 per student ( PK & up)
DeBakey Cell Lab
Gear up with a lab coat, gloves and goggles and travel through experiment stations.
Due to the complexity of the experiments, all guests, ages 13 and under, must be accompanied by an adult. It is required that all guests must be ages 7 and above in order to participate in The DeBakey Cell Lab. $5 per student
**Dissect It Yourself: DIY Labs
DIY Labs are hands-on dissections for all ages, students will get a chance to actively explore the structure and function of organs -
- Sheep Heart - $8 per student (6th grade & up)
- Owl Pellet - $5 per student (PK & up)
- Sheep Brain - $15 per student (6th grade & up)
- Cow eye - $5 per student (6th grade & up)
**Amazing Body Lab
Not only will anatomy come alive, but students will try their hand at real surgical skills as they scrub up, dissect, and practice stitching and suturing. $10 per student (6th grade & up)
**Clinical Case Lab - Diabetes
Step into the role of “Doc for an Hour”—complete authentic medical tests using professional lab tools, work with our state-of-the-art human patient simulation robot, analyze test results, develop a diagnosis, and suggest treatment for illness. $8 per student (6th grade & up)
**Clinical Case Lab - Air Pollution & Your Health
Brought to you in partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund, this lab offers a unique immersive experience in which students will have the opportunity to learn about air pollution and its impact on human health. $8 per student (6th grade & up)
Students will whisk and stir their way through hands-on cooking activities including lessons on eating a balanced diet and understanding the importance of micro and macro nutrients. $5 per student (PK & up)
Add an Amazing Body Store Souvenir Bag
- Order souvenir bags at a special field trip discounted rate, $4 per student (a $7 value)
Professional Development for Teachers
- Learn more about The Health Museum by bringing a group of teachers for a Teacher Tour
- $7 per person, minimum of 15 people
- Receive an overview of the museum's school programs, explore our current exhibitions, and visit the Amazing Body Store
- Add an interactive science class (prices vary by class) and earn CPE credit as you learn new ideas and strategies for teaching and learning hands-on science
- Add a DeBakey Cell Lab visit for $5 extra
- The Health Museum has a Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) and is an approved Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider.
For more information on available TEKS please click the link below.
Please note that your field trip reservation is not confirmed until a deposit is paid, and you have received a confirmation letter from our Reservations Team. Please note that an ASTC membership cannot be applied towards your Field Trip Reservation. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-337-8451.
The Health Museum School Field Trip program is supported by:
Baylor College of Medicine, The Brown Foundation, Ellwood Foundation, Houston Endowment, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Houston Methodist, Robert W. Knox, Sr. and Pearl Willis Knox Charitable Foundation, MACEIL Foundation, The Ralph H. and Ruth J. McCullough Foundation, MD Anderson Cancer Center, MD Anderson Foundation, The Schissler Foundation, Texas Children’s Hospital, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, The William A. and Madeline Welder Smith Foundation, Wortham Foundation
* Contributions made August 1, 2013 – July 11, 2014