The Health Museum offers an engaging Field Trip experience along with several add-on Discovery Lab activities.
The Field Trip Experience is available for $8 per student and includes access to all our exhibits and free flow activities.
- BIORHYTHM: MUSIC AND THE BODY (January 13th to July 31st 2018)
- Amazing Body Gallery (An interactive tour through a over sized human body)
- Brain Teasers (Hands-on puzzles and mind challenging games)
Please note that the selection of free flow activities change with the exhibits and may not be offered everyday.
- McGovern Theater: Educational Movies & TedTalks related to current exhibits and activities
- Live Dissection Demos Take a seat inside the McGovern theater and follow a live dissection of a cow eye or a sheep brain performed by one of the museum science educators.
- Engineering Design Station: Musical Discovery. Design musical instruments from scratch using recyclable materials and what you can find at home.
- Toot Your Pipe: How do instruments make sound? Explore how instruments use air to make sound.
- Healthy Habits: Learn about healthy eating through food-focused, interactive demonstrations.
- Moving to the Beat: Learn about the respiratory and circulatory systems, listen to your heart and lungs observe and how it changes with exercises.
- Auscultation: Listening to the sounds of the body. Listen to your own internal music and learn about the instruments that allows doctors to listen to your body.
Add a hands-on Discovery Labs activity that will make your experience more memorable and unique
Students learn about their DNA make up, enjoy an advanced Scavenger Hunt, and take home a necklace with their very own DNA. $5 per student
DeBakey Cell Lab
Gear up with a lab coat, gloves and goggles and travel through experiment stations. $5 per student
Dissect It Yourself DIY Labs
DIY Labs are hands-on dissections for all ages, students will get a chance to actively explore the structure and function of organs - All year long
- Sheep Heart - Every Mondays and Fridays - $8 per student
- Owl Pellet - Every Tuesdays - $5 per student
- Sheep Brain - Every Wednesdays - $15 per student
- Cow eye - Every Thursdays - $5 per student
Amazing Body Lab
Not only will anatomy come alive, but students will try their hand at real surgical skills as they scrub up, dissect, and practice stitching and suturing. $10 per student
Clinical Case Lab
Step into the role of “Doc for an Hour”—complete authentic medical tests using professional lab tools, work with our state-of-the-art human patient simulation robot, analyze test results, develop a diagnosis, and suggest treatment for illness. $8 per student
Air Pollution Solutions Lab
Students are led through an improvisational drama in which they act out real-world scenarios and become advocates for their health. Learn the importance of clean air, and how our personal choices can affect our environment.
- Only on the first Friday of the Month - all year long
- $3 per student
Creative Engineering Lab
Students will use the design process to create a light-up model of a neuron in order to help understand the connection music has with brain development. $6 per student
Students will whisk and stir their way through hands-on cooking activities including lessons on eating a balanced diet and understanding the importance of micro and macro nutrients. $5 per student
Add an Amazing Body Store Souvenir Bag
- Order souvenir bags at a special field trip discounted rate, $4 per student (a $7 value)
Professional Development for Teachers
- Learn more about The Health Museum by bringing a group of teachers for a Teacher Tour
- $7 per person, minimum of 15 people
- Receive an overview of the museum's school programs, explore our current exhibitions, and visit the Amazing Body Store
- Add an interactive science class (prices vary by class) and earn CPE credit as you learn new ideas and strategies for teaching and learning hands-on science
- Add a DeBakey Cell Lab visit for $5 extra
- The Health Museum has a Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) and is an approved Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider.
Please note that your field trip reservation is not confirmed until a deposit is paid, and you have received a confirmation letter from our Reservations Team. Please note that an ASTC membership cannot be applied towards your Field Trip Reservation. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-337-8451.
The Health Museum School Field Trip program is supported by:
Baylor College of Medicine, The Brown Foundation, Ellwood Foundation, Houston Endowment, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Houston Methodist, Robert W. Knox, Sr. and Pearl Willis Knox Charitable Foundation, MACEIL Foundation, The Ralph H. and Ruth J. McCullough Foundation, MD Anderson Cancer Center, MD Anderson Foundation, The Schissler Foundation, Texas Children’s Hospital, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, The William A. and Madeline Welder Smith Foundation, Wortham Foundation
* Contributions made August 1, 2013 – July 11, 2014